Friday 10 September 2010

Disturbance at Llanrhystud

Good that there was no mention of the Wryneck on Birdguides' weekly newsletter yesterday.
It would indeed be a pity if there has to be a list within a list - a sanctum sanctorum of people in the know. The great thing about Ceredigion Birds is that it is not exclusive. If people are excessively disturbing, then I think a harsh but polite word has to be said. I share John Davies' concern about some photographers who seem to assume that they have priority over mere mortals with bins and a scope and a right to get as close as possible. And what actually happens to the photos?! Seen by how many? Stored forever on a computer? To what end!
And, no I haven't been there to see it, despite living five miles away! I was going to, but then I thought - give the poor bird some peace to feed up before it moves on south.
Grey Phalarope in the same place on the 8th (Alan Hill) - did anybody else get this? Not quite in the same league as Wryneck but still pretty good!
Green Woodpecker in Llandewi Brefi(Alan Price). Wonder if it was the same bird - or the same family - that I had there on the 2nd?

Wryneck ringing. Further to my last post, have just seen that an attempt may be made to catch and ring the bird. Why? So that a ringer can add it to his list? Or so that information on migratory Wrynecks might possibly be obtained (not certain of the odds here but slender.) I suspect the former reason but the justification will be stated as the latter.
Ian Harrison (ex-A ringer)