Wednesday 28 January 2015

Sightings from Kath Stevens

On Saturday (24th Jan) I was watching a mixed flock of starlings, mistle thrush and a few redwings from my living room window a mile or so west of Llangwyryfon when a peregrine flew over and sent them all into the hedge.  It went off, obviously hunting, eastwards towards Trefenter.  This is a second viewing in a month as I saw one a week or so ago also flying east, above the lane between Llanrhystud and Llangwyryfon near the old chapel. I’ve been here 7 years and never seen one around here before.

 

Saw the glaucous gull from YnysHir last Thursday, it spent some time settling briefly on the river bank and then immediately flying up again, I’m not sure why as it didn’t seem to be picking anything up.  Eventually it flew off up river. A female hen harrier was also very much in evidence hunting up and down over the salt marsh near the crossing house for an hour or so.

 

Black-red flew down onto the pavement behind Old College just in front of me on Saturday afternoon, looking very sleek and photogenic.

 

Kath Stevens