Monday 6 July 2015

Sightings from Elliot Montieth

I went down to spend the day at RSPB Ynys Hir on Saturday, it "terns" out that your Gull-billed Tern which was at Ynys Hir a few days ago turned up at RSPB Burton Mere Wetlands, my patch, on Friday to roost for the night.

When I got to the reserve the man at reception told me that I may find a Black Tern down at the Break Water Hide, (always wanted to see one) so I headed down to the Hide, which on the way saw a family of Stonechat. At the Hide there was no Black Tern, but while scanning the distant flock Canada Geese, I found 1 Barnacle Goose amongst the flock, most likely a feral bird.

After this I walked down to the Domen Las, my favourite Hide on the reserve, were after spending 2 hours there, produced 1 distant Osprey feeding on a fish, 7 Goosander and 1 Bar-headed Goose, which was properly the highlight of the day.