Friday 29 July 2016

Geoff Harrison

It was with sadness today that I learned of the recent passing away of Geoff Harrison, of Capel Dewi in the Teifi valley. I didn't really know him that well, just brief, occasional chats as I dropped off the post. But we quickly realised that we had a shared interest in natural history and would mention emerging primroses, hairstreaks in the lane, the Herons at Alltrodyn.....The sight of him strolling round the village will be greatly missed. A few years ago he had a clear out and kindly gave me his collection of British Birds magazine, some going back to the 50's. They were like a window into the past. I remember reading an article by an amateur who was studying the breeding biology of Red-backed Shrikes in his home patch, in Hampshire I think. As I recall, it said that there were still a few dozen Shrikes about at that time relatively close to his home. In my mind I imagine this birder travelling from nest to nest on a well provisioned public bus service or bicycle perhaps. Such a long time ago.