Friday 7 October 2016

Aberystwyth to Afon Clettwr

I decided to have a quick look at Castle Point and the sea at Aberystwyth before joining the hunt for Y-b Warbler and ended up staying for an hour.
Masses of auks going north, ranging from individuals to long lines of 70 to 80 birds, too distant for specific i.d.  I did a 15 minute sample count and got 770, so I reckon a minimum of 3000 passed by.
Also, 133 Gannets, 35 Common Scoter, a Shelduck and two Barnacle Geese (an addition to my Aberystwyth list).
The swan family, complete with Canada Goose, were well out on the sea and 26 Ringed Plover and four Turnstones on the rocks.
At Borth, 10 Red-throated Divers on the sea and five Wigeon flew south.
No warbler for me at the Clettwr, though I did enjoy the Dipper and Marsh Harrier.
Today's Dipper