Monday 3 October 2016

Dyfi estuary and Llanrhystud

At high tide at Ynyslas this morning there were a disappointing amount of waders. 1 Knot, 1 Little Stint around 20 Dunlin (1 ringed, red -left leg, yellow (051 I think) and silver -right leg) and even lower numbers of Ringed Plover. Two Common Gulls and a handful of Sandwich Terns (1 ringed, red ring on left leg) were also present. At Glandwr I had 20 Black-tailed Godwit's and a Common Sandpiper on the Leri.

At Llanrhystud I had 20 Golden Plover, 3 White Wagtail, at least one Greenland Wheatear and a Merlin. I've seen 3 Merlin on my last few outings at Llanrhystud and Cors Fochno, lovely birds to see. Spent the evening at Ynys-hir where I saw my first welsh Marsh Harrier; a cream headed bird which flew straight past me at the Saltings hide. I also looked through the Barnacle Geese for a while, but I couldn't find any other species. 

During my last few visits to Ynyslas there have been people fishing where the waders commomly roost, jet skiers, dogs not under control etc., I don't know if these activities are allowed at Ynyslas, but even so, it's a shame to see in a nature reserve of such importance to wildlife.


An injured Manx Shearwater washed up at Aberystwyth marina last night. Thankfully, the local vets were called and the bird was fairly strong so there's a good possibility that it can be released after it has recovered



Edward O'Connor