Monday 27 March 2017

Caspian Gull at Llanrhystud

The 1st winter Caspian Gull was back at Llanrhystud this afternoon and it turns out it was ringed (Black text: X290, on a yellow ring). I originally thought it was a second bird, as I couldn't remember seeing a ring on the bird last time After scrolling through all my photos and videos I have of the bird I found a half a second section of video that shows the yellow ring! Can't believe I didn't see it before! X290 was ringed in Germany by Ronald Klein, thanks to BirdGuides. I'm sure more information will come through soon. I'm glad the bird showed well for Chris and Arfon, thought it might end up being a repeat of last time!

Hundreds of gulls, including good numbers of Meds were taking advantage of the ploughing activity. There were 5 White Wagtails in amongst the many Pieds feeding on the ploughed field. 3 Wheatears were on the beach including a Greenland bird.

Edward O'Connor