Wednesday 6 September 2017

Grey Phalarope at Tanybwlch

This morning Paul Bennett and I did a circular walk, along the cycle track below Pendinas and back past Tanybwlch Hall and along the bay.
Uneventful until we were approaching the ditch when we had a brief view of a very pale small wader flying over the fields. My first thought was Sanderling until it dived into the ditch.  Phalarope then seemed more likely.  Luckily Paul hopped over the fence and walked the ditch until he confirmed it (we didn't have scopes with us).
Paul took me back to the prom to my car after I had texted John and by the time I had driven back to Tanybwlch with scope John was watching the bird.
We then had a very pleasant session in the sunshine, soon joined by Paul, then Russell, as the bird performed nicely in typical phalarope fashion.
It was also nice to see a nearby Kestrel, one of our scarcer raptors.


P.S.  I started the day with a seawatch from the castle, the highlight being three Arctic Skuas passing together, unfortunately before Paul joined me.