Sunday 7 January 2018

Ynyslas today

A very cold, but enjoyable day spent at Ynyslas produced a few nice birds for my Patchwork Challenge patch. Yesterdays reports of big numbers of Pink-footed Geese moving across the midlands had me hopeful for a few birds at Ynyslas. My hunch was correct as I had 25 throughout the day, most of which came in off the sea. A flock of 14 settled in a field opposite the nursery and they remained there until I left this afternoon. The Cattle Egret was in the usual spot, and a cracking male Hen Harrier was viewed from the Leri bank. A half an hour seawatch off the brickhouse produced a smart male Goldeneye heading north, but very little else. I went up to the pillbox at high tide where highlights included 140 Pintail 2 Greenshank, a Shoveler, 6 Pale-bellied Brent Geese, a Knot, 4 Grey Plover and 14 Skylarks. I managed to sneak a Greenfinch and a Goldcrest from around the boatyard, before dipping the King Eider. I ended up with 66 species on the day, which wasn't too bad on a day where I failed to find the likes of Mallard and Ringed Plover.
Edward O'Connor