Monday 14 March 2011

Green Woodpecker at Llanddewi Brefi

Having seen from the blog that the green woodpecker had been heard in Llanddewi I set out to try and find it in Cwm Brefi. No sooner had I gone through the kissing gate into the field with the moat than I heard what I thought was a green woodpecker coming from the trees over the river. In fact I heard the call four times as I walked along the fence by the river. But no sign of it no matter how hard I looked. I did see a great spotted through. I continued further up the valley via the road and was lucky to see two peregrines.
On my return journey I again walked by the river and heard the woodpecker call. After spending some 10 minutes scanning the trees I managed to track him/her down and was rewarded with a good view for just a few seconds. Perseverance pays off in the end.
Karen Gregory
Llanddewi Brefi