Monday 13 August 2018

Re: Green Woodpecker

When David told me about the juv Green Woodpecker I replied saying how pleased I was that they are still hanging on in the county.  
He has obviously seen Ian's post and sent the following email.

Ian,
 I have tried to find where they might breed, over the years searched, using 
Llanddewi as base to Llanfair accross to Cilgwyn to Cockshead , Llanio and up to
Llyn y Gwaith via Cwm Brefi with the odd meander over fields. Like you I find it difficult to explain why such a colourful large noisy bird can escape detection. We  have so many parkland type habitats and plenty of ant nests  throughout.  If the birds are in the area I am usually informed by the local people who know I look at birds.

David Price.

PS
Just looking through my records, my last Green Woodpecker in Ceredigion was at Ynys-hir in Jan 2001.  No wonder I get excited when I see them in Kent (and get some funny looks from the local birders).