Friday 21 August 2020

Hen Harrier

Driving to work this morning, a sparrowhawk flashed low across the road in front of me. A few kites were spotted and I wondered what else I might see on my commute; maybe a kestrel, a peregrine?
Well my positive thinking worked as a ringtail hen harrier was then seen hunting close to the road inbetween Pontrhydygroes and Devils Bridge. It's unusual for this time of year and in that place. Typically I have seen them up at the Teifi Pools and Cors Caron during the winter, hopefully it's a sign of better days to come for the hen harrier around this part of Ceredigion
Andre Marsh


As I mentioned, we met Andre at Ynyslas  yesterday and below are his sightings from there after our meeting.

 it was a real spectacle at Ynyslas as the shearwaters and gannets were in really close as I watched the gulls and waders. I picked  out a few turnstone in with them too. The 2 ringed plover chicks from the last brood, were also spotted later, separate from the main throng of birds and still doing well.