Monday 17 August 2015

Feeding frenzy and Wood Sandpiper




This was all my old bridge camera could do to show the manxies streaming away from the mouth of the Dovey where Elaine and I had been watching a feeding frenzy.  First they streamed in then birds started to leave but after resting in a raft streamed back!  It was around 7.30am and was a very exciting spectacle to witness.  Later we saw Sandwich terns with big sprats so guess that was the attraction.
The Herring gull,one ringed leg,one stump was on the poles and managing to scratch its ear with the stump!
Try as I might to find one manxie with dusky features the ones I could scope amongst the thousands seemed to be manx shearwaters and splendid against a fabulous blue sea.

Forgot to mention that on Saturday Red, Karen, Elaine and I were on the track by Glandwr pond before the meeting when a Wood Sandpiper flew over calling but disappeared down on the west side of the Leri.  Keep an eye out for it.