Tuesday 2 May 2017

Teifi valley

A very productive morning in the valley and hillside north of Llanddewi Brefi with 55 species. Coot and Tufted Duck at Pant Pool, not sure if they are breeding birds. Others of interest inc. Cuckoo, 3 Grasshopper Warblers, Pied Fly. Tree Pipit, Stonechats, Reed Buntings and a Chiffchaff that had gone wrong (Chaffy,chiff,chaff,chiffchiff). On my way home I called in at the sand quarry for Sand Martins. About 100 holes but few birds. The very helpful and friendly man who worked there told me that very many of the holes seemed occupied and suggested I come back again earlier or later in the day when the Martins are more likely to be about. As we chatted something interesting loomed into view in the sky behind him. I lifted my bins and locked onto a cracking Hobby over the pool.