Friday 30 June 2017

A few sightings and a bit of a rant

This morning along the Leri there were 4 Common Sandpipers, probably returning migrants, a reeling Grasshopper Warbler, a Cetti's Warbler and a Water Rail and a Goosander. After around 5 hours of sea watching today from both Ynyslas and New Quay I had very little to show for it, even Manxies were somewhat scarce. A couple of decent flocks of Common Scoter moving north were the highlight, around 15 from Ynyslas and 30+ from New Quay. I enjoyed great views of the King Eider at Aberaeron on Wednesday but there was no sign of the bird this afternoon. Yesterday a very brief visit to saltings hide at Ynys-hir produced 3 Black-tailed Godwits, a female Red-breasted Merganser and good numbers of Curlew on the saltings.

This morning as I was looking at Orchids at Ynyslas, two Border Collie type dogs ran to me and began barking and snarling. As I started to walk away the dogs continued to harass me and nip at the back of my legs, after probably a minute of this madness the owner finally calls the dog to him. I am usually good with dogs but I have to admit I really didn't feel safe. I wouldn't like to think how somebody who isn't good with dogs would react to something like this. The dogs were not on leads and were free to trample their way through the Orchids. I know that there is not much NRW can do about people like this, but surely there is something more that can be done to try and get people put their dogs on leads. I love Ynyslas, it's my favourite place to go birding but this sort of thing really put me off going.

Edward O'Connor